Saturday, April 30, 2011

Matriarchs of Genesis: Conclusion

The five mentioned matriarchs of Genesis are interesting characters for modern day readers to know and appreciate. However, as it was pointed out several times in class, the Old Testament is not feminist literature. I acknowledge that point and even affirm it to a point. Yes, it is not feminist literature in that it was not written to support women or fully explore the difficulties faced by women in the days of the Old Testament. Yes, it is not feminist literature in that it was most likely written by men, for men, and the stories about women were to support or explain the men around them....

But, I do not truly think that is all there is to the definition of feminist literature. The mere fact that women, specifically in Genesis, are given such prominent roles and storyline is a commentary all on its on. Women did not need to be included. Women did not need to be named. Women did not need to save the day. Women did not need to direct the action of the story. Women did not need to 'trick' the men in their lives. There is a lot that women did not need to do, but they did and the narrative supports that.

Part of feminist literature is not just writing something that is feminist. It is also reading something that is not seen as 'feminist' and trying to understand how it could be applied to our understanding of women yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I read the scriptures as something that lives and breaths within the midst of modern day Christianity, that to state that the stories are to be read one way and only one way is a false statement. A good story is not the story that means only something to the people during the time it was written but mean something to individuals throughout the rest of time. I can connect with Sarah's story whenever I comprise on an assignment because I'm scared that if I don't finish it sooner someone else will take the credit. I can relate to Rebekah's story when I have aunts telling me that certain populations of men are not fit for me to marry. I can relate to Leah's story as an older sister with a much prettier younger sister, and that there is tremendous pressure to be the first to get married. I can relate to Rachel's story because it's difficult to be denied the one thing you want and desire, and there's nothing I can do about it.

No these stories are not "feminist", but they can, do, and will mean many things to me as a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment